Influenza Pandemic? Have you gotten your flu shot this year? What is the best way to prepare for a bad flu outbreak?
Symptoms of the flu:
· sore throat
· stuffy or runny nose
· muscle aches
· nausea & vomiting
What to do if you think you have the flu.
· Stay home until you are well! Do not go out and spread the flu virus to the public, your coworkers, and friends!
· Always cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze! Again, keep your distance from others to help prevent the spread of the virus.
· Make sure to throw away all of your used tissue!
· Wash your hands with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer especially before you touch your face, nose, or mouth.
· Drink lots of fluids to prevent dehydration and get as much rest as you can.
· If and when you go to the doctor or the emergency room ask for a mask. This not only will help prevent you from spreading the virus, but it will also help prevent you from picking up other viruses or illnesses.
· Make sure you take your doctor's advice and ask questions! What is the best medicine to take to relieve the symptoms of the flu? How long will the symptoms last? When should I seek more medical care?
· Avoid sharing computers, pens, papers, eating utensils, food, towels, blankets, sheets, and other personal items. The more others touch a sick persons personal items the more likely the virus is to be spread to other family members!
· All sick individuals should be kept isolated in their own room. If a sick person wonders around the house they are more likely to infect a non-sick person.
· Make sure to clean any area that the infected person has been in. Especially the bathroom, door knobs, light switches, and handles. Wash any surface that people commonly use to help prevent the spread of the virus.
· Make sure others wash their hands often to prevent the spread of germs. And always wash your hands before taking care of the sick and after taking care of the sick.
As always, if there is a severe flu pandemic you should also have at least a 3 month supply of food available in your house as well as any medications, baby supplies, feminine hygiene products. Make sure you have an emergency radio, flashlights and batteries, and a first aid kit as well. And, don't forget that you need 1 gallon of drinking water per person per day!